HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

AP.net Review of Champion

Go down 
AuthorMessage
xmhackx

Number of posts : 830
Registration date : 2007-07-05

PostSubject: AP.net Review of Champion   Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:23 pm

"Audition, The - Champion
Posted on 01-18-08 by Drew Beringer
The Audition – Champion
Release Date: January 22, 2008
Record Label: Victory

I couldn’t hold my excitement last week when I saw a package from Victory Records sitting in my mailbox, as I knew I had just received Champion, the latest release from The Audition. As I gleefully ripped open the envelope, I was thinking of how much I enjoyed their debut album, Controversy Loves Company (which is one of the better debut’s in Victory’s history), and wondering how, and if, this Chicago pop-punk could top it.

The first three thoughts that came to my mind after my first listen were:
1. Danny Stevens’ vocal style has changed.
2. It’s ridiculously catchy.
3. Man, they must have listened to a lot of Maroon 5 and Justin Timberlake.

It was evident to my ears that The Audition has added even more of a pop influence into their brand of aggressive rock and roll. And while Champion will be viewed as a change in direction from the debut, the energy is higher than ever, and you’ll have a blast driving to this album in your car.

The other thing I noticed is that this album is rather short. Clocking in at only ten tracks and 37 minutes, Champion hits you hard and hits your fast. And you hear the difference immediately between the two albums with opener “Basbhat.” A groovy, dance-oriented track, it threw me off upon first listen. “Warm Me Up,” the first single, feature big guitars and a pre-chorus channeling “Cry Me A River” from the aforementioned Timberlake. You can definitely hear some Maroon 5 influence in “Hell To Sell,” which will probably become a staple in the band’s live show, with its tantalizing guitar riffs and groovy bass line. The track sounds like it just barely missed getting on It Won’t Be Soon Before Long, and it’s incredibly fun.

The Audition drop a ballad (complete with falsetto!), “Can You, Will You?,” between rockers “Ether” and “Shady Business,” both of which feature roaring guitars and drums that pound into your skull. The most fun track comes in the form of “Make It Rain,” and while Pacman Jones doesn’t make an appearance, the chorus is just as rambunctious and loud, and will make you want to throw dollar bills all over the place. And the album closes with the quintet taking a journey to the Wild, Wild West and taking cues from labelmates The Forecast, as “Have Gun, Will Travel” sounds like it is being played in a Saloon with a quick drum beat and fastened vocals and guitar work.

What you’ll realize on Champion is that The Audition is changing up their style. The majority of tracks don’t follow the same path set forward on Controversy, rather going in direction that can span more genres. And the end result is an album that will polarize The Audition’s fan base. And many will jump the gun on this album, claim it as “disappointing” and immediately discard it. Take it for what it is. While the lyrics waver from average to downright bad, the music and energy counterbalance that. If you want a fun album to get you through the cold winter months, then Champion should be one of your top choices. "
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/the_world_is_black_23
allinyourhandsx

Number of posts : 1322
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: AP.net Review of Champion   Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:56 am

Well, that's a review thats full of back handed compliments, but it's better than a plain old bad review.

And this made me laugh.

The most fun track comes in the form of “Make It Rain,” and while Pacman Jones doesn’t make an appearance, the chorus is just as rambunctious and loud, and will make you want to throw dollar bills all over the place.

It gives me a few ideas. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/fingerscrossedx
katiexcore

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: AP.net Review of Champion   Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:10 pm

Well its nicer than the rocksound one! XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/katzlife
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AP.net Review of Champion